A lot of people have not even heard about Proxy Servers before and even most of those that have don’t really know what they are or how they work so I am going to explain it so you have a clearer understanding of what they are and what they do.
Anonymous Proxy Servers essentially act as a middle man when your computer or tablet etc. requests information from the internet. So say for example you want to go to Facebook, you turn on your proxy software and then you open the internet browser such as Google chrome and then enter www.facebook.com into the address bar and hit enter. Your computer will then send this request to the Proxy Server (PS) and then the proxy server will then send a request to Facebook for the page, then Facebook returns the requested page to the PS and then the PS returns the page to your computer.
Now some people may be thinking “why would we need to use proxy servers?” Although we may not need to use proxy servers all of the time while on the internet, there are many occasions when it would be extremely beneficial to use them and some of the benefits of using one are.
- Make your IP address (your computers personal address) anonymous/hidden so you are completely anonymous and increase your personal security. Every computer has their own IP address which changes when you change locations, this means that your location can be traced while on the internet quite easily by ANYONE.
- If using a Private VPN then all of your data is encrypted so that no one else can see your private and personal information as well as what you are doing. This is especially useful when using shared internet connections in public or private places. Just think for a second, every time you use the internet in a public place, such as a cafe or hotel or even your Collage dorm, then all of your details you transmit over the network and even files from your computer can be easily viewed and stolen. That is not a very good thought is it?
- They can speed up internet browsing in some instances as the proxies generally used cashed files of internet sites. This means that they in effect take a copy of the website and store it locally on the machine so when you enter that address then it loads a lot faster. If you already have broadband internet then the benefit is not quite as noticeable.
- You can bypass website restrictions at work or in a country where certain content is not allowed or even websites your ISP are blocking.
- You can also use them perform content-filtering when used in places like schools to make sure that the students adhere to fair use policies and restrict certain sites.
- You can scan all incoming content for viruses and malware.
- You can scan all outbound content for data loss, to see if employees are leaking information or see what your kids are up to and how much internet usage they are using.
As you can see there is an ever increasing need to use an anonymous proxy server in many situations in order to keep your private and confidential information such as credit card details safe and secure from others.
Out of all of the options out there at the moment I recommend Hide My Ass as my Proxy Server / VPN of choice. With the low cost options such as pay per month, easy to use software that even the computer illiterate can use, the fact that they have been around for a very long time and have over 432 VPN servers in over 59 countries in my opinion has them far in front of other competitors.